Sunday, August 28, 2011

Classic Ads depicting classic mens and ladies styles from the 60's


love the classic Jag and the classic ladies fashion with headband
My first impressions of fashion were thrust upon me in the Middle sixties onward I remember being really comfortable with the colors , styles , fabrics etc. In the 70's as a teenager not so much!, about the only thing I took fro the 70's ? The Levi pin whale cord jeans in a few colors mostly a stone or ivory color the rest could be burned for all I cared and it did! being mostly the "new" Poly blend that were all the rage and the hideous.  Thanks too the web I  searched around and found some really cool ads which do a much better job of visualising the essence of the 60's from a fashion point of view. By 1967-68 things where changing in this country, for a 10 year period , conservative clothing and style ruled, from this really the core of the prep fashions were derived and expanded upon .As a country we were so much more formal and people truly cared about the way they presented themselves , men and women dressed and they dressed well, regardless of social standing!

carried this brand in the store for years


plaids , cable sweaters classic!
 


 
Daper Gent!


Sold BOTANY  suits was a huge line , nice quality and reasonable price point


Another line we carried ,  always loved the tartan logo

 <><><><>
<>
<><><><>
Sportcoats ,hats & ties were always apart of sportscar racing in the 50's and 60's
Sero a great shirt maker from Ct, we were one of the first to put it on our shelves in New London Ct.
 

     These ads tell  the story much better than my words. Many of the brands in these ads were carried in the store my Family owned , even though I was a small boy these images and period of time have shaped my fashion sense from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment