Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lost art of dressing

 Walk down the street of any Classic New England town or coastal Fl. or really anywhere and take a glance at what people are wearing!, men it camo, and tank tops, ladies in too much denim and flipflops for every occasion , it's really sad. Yes you will see a few classically dressed , Even people in the Know , I believe are aware of the way too casual dress code of their fellow man these days and dress down, its as if one has to stay in certain circles of excusitivity to dress proper anymore . Maybe it is just Fl. it's hot here!, maybe people just don't care anymore. I know times change , My Dad and Grandfather I don't think ever owned a pair of jeans, I really don't wear them, except with a oxford shirt and Shetland cable sweater.
  Why Don't people care about how they look, ? the cost is high these days to have nice things ......
  But I'd rather have one nice J.Press oxford than 3  no iron plastic shirts! I cherish my old patch work madras slacks, my son has taken ownership of a pair of patch navy and kelly green cords I wore 30 years ago , they still look great!
    Yes I know those of us called Prep, Prepsters,   , know how to dress and at any given nite at certain yacht clubs  and country clubs etc. many people look great, in there Breton reds, Lilly Etc.  . That said I have been at regatta's and clubs where people still can't get it together , it's  disappointing and at times i feel like a lost Concordia in a sea of Catalina 30's functional, but oh so boring ( if you know anything about sailboats you will understand that!)
   My Father who ran a lovely men's shop for 40 plus years said in the last years before her retired, late 90's, his customers were simply dying off, their children were too caught up in labels and outlet malls to take the time to learn the art of dressing, This does not mean  one must spend loads of money either , just adding one nice item every once in awhile and build your wardrobe, quality Khaki's, a nice Shetland sweater ,  pair of topsiders,  nice navy blazer , 3 button, lightweight summer wool and a flannel  for winter,  oxford shirts , blue, pink , white,  all cotton,  tropical weight plain front grey flannels  trousers and heaver ones for winter , rep stripe ties and club novelties add a pair of cordovan loafers from Brooks Brother or a Alden tassle slip on, I like the Aldens as i can dress them  up or down .    Of course this is just a breif list of things, i 'd be happy to elaborate , just ask...... Oh well The best we can do , for those of us who Know is to teach our children to take pride in their dress and wear the code of honor ., Pink and Green forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment