Thursday, August 25, 2011

MAD about pants!!


a small sampling of some of the fun pants I have acquired I need to wear them as some still have the tags on them!, seems  as i get older I reach for my khaki's  and madras shirts more and more these day, The Lilly pants are prized  as they are hard to come by now

my old Murray's i think they are at least 20 years old
i As I have stated in the past I grew up  with my dad and Grandfather and Uncle owning a fine mens clothing store, I spent SOOO many hours hanging around and eventually working in the store off and on thru my teen years I absorbed so much information and When thinking back I really enjoyed it , I actually become quite sad when I think of all the beautiful clothes we sold an how much of it does not really exists any more or how many of the great names have been watered down , and a shell of there former selves, I.E. Allen Solly, Cross Creek, most Brooks Brothers Items, A&F, Sero shirts, GT trousers, Halrin , YRI actually used to be In Ma. and made some amazing cotton web belts with big brass D  rings I used to have them monogrammed ,
    Back to the pants.... One thing I  have certainly noticed is since the onslaught of jeans , most men and ladies don't care about quality pants and the fit. When quality pants are made they are cut with a curve through the hips and a roomy seat and proper rise, deep pockets and quality sewn waistbands and good zippers and provision for a center belt loop and 37 inseam to be tailored to the proper length!
  Jeans have caused people to not know how to wear pants! worn too low on the hips , all bunched up at the bottom too tight , in a word pathetic!
  Along comes Dockers by Levi, Kahki pants that fit like jeans GRRRR, no seat room no rise, shallow pockets, jean people love them! and levi's has the resources to convince consumers  this  is what they should wear ,Wake UP People! they are junk!!
   My dads shop had some amazing trousers  embrodiered cords and poplins, lobsters, whales pheasants etc. real wool tartans in lots of colorations and classic  flannels in several weights , wide whale cords in a rainbow of colors, patch cords , four panel pants in chamois cotton, duck in many colors,  twill breton reds , exquisite calvery twills which draped so beautifully kahki's in cotton twill , polin, and madras patch big bold plaids mini cks. really amazing , the selection I took it for granted as a kid , what I would give to shop in a store like that today!
 I see some new companies trying to offer some of these old classics, most times things seem just a little off , fit , motiff seems a little goofy or a tad too big ,  or the colors are just a little off, my conclusion is they really wern't around when the originals were out , I guess you can fool some of the people, some of the time........

No comments:

Post a Comment