Friday, August 5, 2011

music for your preppy listening pleasure

Seems to me along with dressing in a classic way and traveling and hanging out in preppy enclaves and venues  certain music seem to fit right in .... From jazz to , American standards and , some new wave 80's  and some classic pop and rock tunes , some music just has staying power!
   here's my list , some tunes enjoyed  from my childhood, teens years, crazy frat parties ,sailing, driving to work, parties with friends and everything in between! My taste in music runs the Gamut from Lester Lanin Dance band sounds to a few Ac/Dc tunes!
   Would like to hear from others as this is simply my list and musical taste vary like the weather in New England
  
 * no particular order     
  • Louis Armstrong- one of the amzzing men of jazz, style, unique, Dixie land magic
  • Bobby Darin- can I say this  Maybe better than  Frank on certain  song , Just love the way he swings with the big bands, we lost one of the greats way too soon!:(
  • The Four Freshman , love the harmony and jazz sound , cool 50's  sounds, inspired Brian wilson and the Beach Boys Harmonies
  • Frank Sinatra- what hasn't been said , my mom , never turned off Frank on the home stereo! I still hear his songs , in my sleep like some kinda , science  experiment!
  • Peggy Lee- jazzy lady , she could really swing, her beautiful voice backed by great bands , a tru classic !
  • Sammie Davis Jr.- There are not enough superlatives to describe this man, dancer , singer , actor, funny man , his voice and phrasing, impeccable a cool dude!
  • Herb Alpert and the TJB Mr. trumpet of the 60's I own everything he has ever done , takes me back too my PF flyers sneakers and the dating game  show , every time!
  • Sergio mendes & Brazil 66- took pop 60's hits and added his jazz bossa nova twist , amazing vocals too, its a cool 60's sound
  • Astrud Gilberto- as a kid i feel in love with her cool matter of fact sound I love samba and Bossa Nova she is my favorite female artist still !!
  • Wes Montgomery- jazz guitar great, self taught genius, no one can play like he did!
  • Diana krall - modern day queen of jazz, i love her sultry sound and command of the piano
  • Beach Boys- words  put to surf beats ,  Brian Wilson took the band far beyond its simple beginnings, I.E. Pet Sounds  I like every note of beach boys , music, it's way more than the few hits you hear on the radio, spend some time with the full albums/cd's , its still fantastic
  • Brian Wilson - I am a fan and a devotee of the music its message and , his introspective  soul bearing lyrics he is still making beautiful music!
  • The Kingsmen - Frat classics, Louie Louie , nuff said!
  • The Lively ones- from 1960 too 1964 instrumental surk music was king, its one of my top 3 forms of music, I love the driving sound and  the image of hundred of So. Cal. kids stomping there feet in their white Levi's ,Pendleton shirts and converse hi tops to the sounds after a day of fun surfing , everyone should treat themselves too the sounds of early surf music!
  • Beatles- I don't love every song , but some are pure pop masterpieces
  • The EnglishBeat - Ska , Punk Reggae, Jazz, awesome !
  •  Pretenders- I love this band ! my college years and so many great songs , I hear one and I am transported back in time!
  • Badfinger- probably the best , least heard band from the lates 60's early 70's , the Beatles endorsed them , that should say something!
  • John Mayer- Despite is bad record with Famous Girlfriends, this thinking mans , pop rocker ,  has perhaps the best sound over the last few years
  • Blondie - fringe punk, lots of fun definitely remember their Saturday Nitr Live performances , so cool  was Debra Harry
  • The Rascals - from frat party classics , to late 60's peace music , this band is SO underrated!


  • Steely Dan- 70's rock  jazz classics I learned to drive around Old Lyme listening to this stuff!
  • Lester Lanin - does this one  even need a explanation!
  • Lawerance welk - why? there is just something about the champagne music ! its light and airy, and cocktail party fun......
  • Bob Marley
 Think that's a good list to start with!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment