Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My thoughts on classic ladies fashion........


Classic  early 60's fashion, note the bermuda bag!

1964 Classic Bonwit  teller ad
  There are a few things I think just  belong in a ladies closet ,of prep clothing,  You may be asking what am I doing commenting on such things, I was raised around ladies with fantastic style and a wife who knows a thing or two:)
    Belgian shoes of New York http://www.belgianshoes.com/  these classic slipons have such understated style, from bright Palm Beach colors to , animal prints and linens these shoes should be in every girls closet!
 of coarse  living in Fl. anything Lilly Pulitzer, skirts shoes accessories for us here I can only say C. Oricco of Palm Beach  I have been on a first name basis for many years with a few of the sales Ladies , sadly for my wallet! there are certain days and events when nothing seems more right than Lilly , on a stylish classic Lady.
   Jack Rogers sandals , The Navajo is a staple for summer so many color  combinations the possibilities are endless.

I love the old Lord &taylor ad, this one from 1963 still a stylish look

1964, lov the art , gloves , hair , suit
   Head bands, another must, grosgrain ribbon, gingham ck. and of course Madras and tartan, youthful, fun and a way to add a splash of color to any outfit, for me they just look right!
   Sweaters, solid Shetland cardigans, with the grosgrain ribbon running down the placket front , they are light warm and look great with buttondowns turtlenecks , shirts and khaki's. I remember my mother   having  a few particularly nice Fair Isle trim around the collar ,not huge just a single band of pattern  for color on a heather grey or blue solids. They were from our Family store which imported Scottish woollens from the ,  middle 60's onward , I also think she had some from years back from a great shop in Ct  I think Guilford? Outdoor Traders .

this is 1966, could be today , classic tunic dress
   I am working with a small Scottish knitting mill, I think I am going to work on that Fair Isle  trim,  such a classic look.

 Update 8 /27/11 I am in the works of getting the grosgrain trim Cardigans made as well as the classic Fair Isle as well, these sweaters are from Shetland Isles authentic in every way , beautifully made , I am very excited about these !
 I love a classic Khaki slack, perhaps slightly tapered leg , or cropped  always plain front , conventional construction, Cotton twill or poplin , worn with flats , a polo , oxford BD , turtleneck , cardigan, fleece , so many options , so many ways to be classicly correct!
1966 this could be palm beach today , good looks always resurface
 

1 comment:

  1. I just love, and miss, those Shetland cardigans with the grosgrain ribbon! They were such a staple. I used to buy mine from The Country Store of Concord, in Guilford, CT.

    ReplyDelete